Williamson, Thomas, Captain, Oriental field sports , 1808
- Oriental field sports : being a complete, detailed and accurate description of the wild sports of the East : and exhibiting, in a novel and interesting manner, the natural history of the elephant, the rhinoceros, the tiger, the leopard, the bear, the deer, the buffalo, the wolf, the wild hog, the jackall, the wild dog, the civet, and other domesticated animals : as likewise the different species of feathered game, fishes and serpents : the whole interspersed with a variety of original, authentic, and curious anecdotes, taken from the manuscript and designs of Captain Thomas Williamson, who served upwards of twenty years in Bengal / the drawings by Samuel Howett, made uniform in size, and engraved by the first artists.
- London : Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., for Edward Orme and B. Crosby and Co., 1808.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK235.W55 O75 1808+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates engraved by J. Clark.
"A cheap edition, reduced in size, of the folio workr published in parts, 1805-7, [Abbey Travel] no. 427 (JA1432), where a note on other editions is given. It is not certain that the work was ever published coloured, although coloured copies are found."--Abbey.
With added engraved title pages in both volumes.
Plates 1 and 22 are uncolored engravings; the remaining 40 plates are uncolored aquatints.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 431
Hardie, M. English coloured books, p. 135-136, 302-303
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 281-283, 357
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, II, p. 298
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates, 509
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary diced calf; rebacked. Autograph: B. Barlow.
- Subject Terms:
- B. Crosby and Co. -- Publisher.Big game hunting -- India.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1808.Game and game-birds -- India.Hunting -- India.Natural history -- India.Orme, Edward -- Publisher.Tiger hunting -- India.W. Bulmer and Co. -- Printer.Zoology -- India.
- Aquatints -- 1808.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.