Markel, Stephen, India's fabled city , 2010
- India's fabled city : the art of courtly Lucknow / Stephen Markel ; with Tushara Bindu Gude and contributions by Muzaffar Alam ... [et al.].
- Alternate Title(s):
- Art of courtly Lucknow
- Munich ; Prestel, 2010.
New York : Prestel, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 271 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 31 cm.
- Reference LibraryN7308.L83 M37 2010 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Catalog issued in connection with an exhibition held Dec. 12, 2010-Feb. 27, 2011, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, and Apr. 6-July 11, 2011, Museé Guimet, Paris.
- The dynastic history of Lucknow / Stephen Markel -- India's fabled city: the lure of courtly Lucknow-narratives of an exhibition / Tushara Bindu Gude -- Lucknow and European society / Rosie Llewellyn-Jones -- Hybrid visions: the cultural landscape of Awadh / Tushara Bindu Gude -- Innovations pious and impious: expressive arts in Nawabi Lucknow / Carla Petievich -- Lucknow's architectural landscape / Catherine Asher -- "A sacred interest": the role of photography in the "City of Mourning" / Sophie Gordon -- Origins of the late Mughal painting tradition in Awadh / Malini Roy -- Of princes and poets in eighteenth-century Lucknow / Muzaffar Alam and Sanjay Subrahmanyam -- "This blaze of wealth and magnificence": the luxury arts of Lucknow / Stephen Markel -- Textiles and dress in Lucknow in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries / Rosemary Crill -- Music in Lucknow's gilded age / Peter Manuel.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- India -- Lucknow -- Exhibitions.Art and society -- India -- Oudh -- Exhibitions.Art, Indic -- India -- Lucknow -- Exhibitions.Art, Indic -- India -- Oudh -- Exhibitions.