Miller, Julia (Conservator), Books will speak plain , 2010
Books will speak plain : a handbook for identifying and describing historical bindings / Julia Miller.
- Ann Arbor, Mich. : The Legacy Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 510 p.,  p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 26 cm. + 1 DVD-ROM (col. ; 4 3/4 in.)
- Reference LibraryZ269 .M64 2010 (LC) ;Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- BEIN Stack Ref. Z269 .M64 2010 (LC) Oversize: Dust jacket.
BEIN 2018 +26: Dust jacket.
Includes bibliographical references (p. -496) and index.
System requirements for DVD-ROM: Adobe reader; color monitor.
- Subject Terms:
- Bookbinding -- History.Cataloging of rare books -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- Introduction : the purpose of this handbook
- The early history of the codex
- The medieval manuscript book and beyond
- 1450 to 1800 : the book changes radically
- The book from 1800 to 1900
- Identifying binding materials and applications
- Describing historical bindings--a template for action
- The task ahead and conclusion
- Appendixes 1. Historical bindings--structure and style hierarchy
- 2. Sample survey suggestions and description case studies
- 3. Stacks maintenance and physical condition assessment guidelines.