The poetics and politics of place : Ottoman Istanbul and British Orientalism / edited by Zeynep Inankur, Reina Lewis and Mary Roberts.
- Istanbul : Pera Müzesİ ; 2011.
Seattle, WA : distributed by University of Washington Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 285 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryND1460 E95 P647 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- "This book arises from papers presented at the symposium Ottoman Istanbul and British Orientalism held at Suna and İnan Kiraç Foundation, Pera Museum, between 27-28 November 2008"--T.p. verso.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1. Staging The lure of the East: exhibition making and Orientalism / C. Riding.--2. Cultural exchange and the politics of plaesure / R. Lewis.--3. Bringit home? orientalist painting and the art market / N. Tromans.--4. The Searight collection / S. Searight.--5. Cultural consignment and cultural (ex)change / D. Preziosi.--6. Orientalism and photography / N. Micklewright. --7. Between the sublime and the picturesque / W. M. K. Shaw.--Genealogies of display: cross-cultural networks at the 1880s Istanbul exhibitions / M. Roberts.--9. Osman Hamdi Bey and the Historiophile mood: Orientalist vision and the romantic sense of the past in late Ottoman culture / A. Ersoy.--10. Travelling East: veiling, race and nations / T. Hefferman.--11. "Solitary eagle"?: the public and private personas of John Frederick Lewis, 1804-1876 / B. Llewellyn.--12. An Ottoman traveler to the Orient: Osman Hamdi Bey / E. Eldem.--13. Mary Adelaide Walker / Z. Inankur.--14. The Dragoman who commissioned his own portrait / A. Gürcaglar.--15. European artists at the Ottoman Court / G. Renda.--16. The interpretation of pictoral space in nineteenth-century Ottoman landscape painting / S. Germaner.--17. Orientalism and aestheticism / T. Barringer.--18. The recption of John Frederick Lewis at the Expoisition Universelle in 1855 / P. B. Miller.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Ottoman.Istanbul (Turkey) in art.Orientalism in art -- Great Britain.Painting, British.
YCBA Collections Search
The poetics and politics of place , 2011