The poetics and politics of place , 2011
The poetics and politics of place : Ottoman Istanbul and British Orientalism / edited by Zeynep Inankur, Reina Lewis and Mary Roberts.
- Istanbul : Pera Müzesİ ; 2011.
Seattle, WA : distributed by University of Washington Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- 285 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryND1460 E95 P647 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "This book arises from papers presented at the symposium Ottoman Istanbul and British Orientalism held at Suna and İnan Kiraç Foundation, Pera Museum, between 27-28 November 2008"--T.p. verso.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1. Staging The lure of the East: exhibition making and Orientalism / C. Riding.--2. Cultural exchange and the politics of plaesure / R. Lewis.--3. Bringit home? orientalist painting and the art market / N. Tromans.--4. The Searight collection / S. Searight.--5. Cultural consignment and cultural (ex)change / D. Preziosi.--6. Orientalism and photography / N. Micklewright. --7. Between the sublime and the picturesque / W. M. K. Shaw.--Genealogies of display: cross-cultural networks at the 1880s Istanbul exhibitions / M. Roberts.--9. Osman Hamdi Bey and the Historiophile mood: Orientalist vision and the romantic sense of the past in late Ottoman culture / A. Ersoy.--10. Travelling East: veiling, race and nations / T. Hefferman.--11. "Solitary eagle"?: the public and private personas of John Frederick Lewis, 1804-1876 / B. Llewellyn.--12. An Ottoman traveler to the Orient: Osman Hamdi Bey / E. Eldem.--13. Mary Adelaide Walker / Z. Inankur.--14. The Dragoman who commissioned his own portrait / A. Gürcaglar.--15. European artists at the Ottoman Court / G. Renda.--16. The interpretation of pictoral space in nineteenth-century Ottoman landscape painting / S. Germaner.--17. Orientalism and aestheticism / T. Barringer.--18. The recption of John Frederick Lewis at the Expoisition Universelle in 1855 / P. B. Miller.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Ottoman.Istanbul (Turkey) in art.Orientalism in art -- Great Britain.Painting, British.