The costume of the Russian Empire / illustrated by a series of seventy-three engravings ; with descriptions in English and French.
- Additional Title(s):
Added t.p., in French: Costumes de l'Empire de Russie, représentés dans un série de soixante et treize planches, accompagnées de descriptions en français et en anglais
- London : Printed for William Miller ... by Howlett and Brimmer ..., MDCCCIII 
- Physical Description:
-  p., 73 leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGT1046 .A44 1803a+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Fourth in a series of costume books published by William Miller. Plates are copied and enlarged from a book by J.C. Georgi published by W. Müller in St. Petersburg in 1776-1780 in 4 v. Text for this English edition is attributed to William A. Alexander. A new edtion of this book appeared in 1804 with Bulmer as printer, uniform with the others in the series printed or reprinted this year. A reprint of the second edition is represented by Abbey T 245. Cf. Abbey.
"The descriptions ... have been derived from the most authentic sources, more particularly from publisher Professor [C.W.] Müller's Description de toute les nations de l'empire de Russie, Voyage en Sibérie, par D'Auteroche, Description de Kamtschatka, par M. Kracheninnikow, Plescheëf's Survey of the Russian Empire, Pallas's Travels through the southern parts of Russia, [and] Saür's Account of Commodore Billing's expedition to the northern parts of Russia, &c. &c."--Preface.
Text in English and French.
Colored stipple engravings by J. Dadley.
Some copies have added engraved title page, hand colored.
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, v. 1, p. 215
BAC: British Art Center copy plates are printed on paper watermarked Whatman, 1817. Bound in gilt-stamped maroon morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Russia.Costume -- Russia -- Pictorial works.Howlett & Brimmer -- Printer.Miller, W. -- Publisher.Russia -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Russia -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Stipple engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1803.
YCBA Collections Search
Alexander, William, 1767-1816, The costume of the Russian Empire , MDCCCIII 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.