At the heart of progress : coal, iron, and steam since 1750 : industrial imagery from the John P. Eckblad collection / [Timothy A. Riggs].
- [Chapel Hill] : Ackland Art Museum, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2009.
- Physical Description:
- 52 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 22 cm.
- Reference LibraryNE962.I43 A7 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- "This catalogue is published in conjunction with the exhibition ... presented at the Ackland Art Museum from January 24-May 17, 2009"--T.p. verso.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 45).
"Written to accompany an exhibition of prints from the John P. Eckblad collection of industrial imagery, At the Heart of Progress explores the way that artists have looked at the world that was created by heavy industry over more than two centuries. An interlocking triad - the mining of coal, the production of iron and steel, and the development of steam power - formed the basis of modern industrial civilization, explains curator Timothy Riggs. This transformation of the world is presented in a wide variety of images: documentary views, advertising and political posters, and works of art by artists including Camille Pissarro, Joseph Pennell, and C. R. W. Nevinson." "The volume offers a detailed discussion of twenty-nine key prints and traces the growth and transformation of heavy industry in Britain, France, and America. At the Heart of Progress shows how artists confronted the new industrial structures of the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries and then focuses on the artistic representation of the industrial environment and the portrayal of the worker in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, as the industrial landscape engulfed whole tracts of countryside and a new society of industrial laborers developed."--BOOK JACKET.
- Subject Terms:
- Eckblad, John -- Art collections -- Exhibitions.Industrial revolution -- Pictorial works -- Exhibitions.Industries in art -- Exhibitions.Prints -- Exhibitions.Prints -- Private collections -- North Carolina -- Chapel Hill -- Exhibitions.
YCBA Collections Search
At the heart of progress , 2009