Happy families [game] : a new and most diverting game for juveniles : forty-four grotesque characters, beautifully colored.
- London : John Jaques & Son ..., [186-?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 card game (44 cards) : col. ill. ; in box 10 x 8 x 3 cm. + 1 instruction card (93 x 65 mm.), 1 instruction sheet (1 folded sheet ( p. ; 19 cm.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1295 .H37 1860Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Designed by John Tenniel.
Games consists of 44 hand-colored cards showing families of 4, each of which has an appropriate name relating to the father's occupation, such as Mr. Block the Barber or Mr. Dip the Dyer. The aim is to collect all cards relating to one family.
At head of title: One shilling.
Title from case label.
Accompanied by a sheets of instructions, pages - of which include advertisements for other goods and games sold by John Jaques & Son.
Goodfellow, C. Collector's guide to games and puzzles, p. 99-100
BAC: British Art Center copy complete. Original blue printed paper wrapper, torn and flattened, laid in in mylar sleeve.
- Subject Terms:
- Card games -- Specimens -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Jaques and Son (London, England)John Jacques & Son -- Publisher.Occupations -- Pictorial works.Woodcut, Colored -- Specimens -- 1860.
- Playing cards.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.