The life of Ælfred the Great / by Sir John Spelman Kt. ; from the original manuscript in the Bodleian Library ; with considerable additions, and several historial remarks by the publisher Thomas Hearne, M.A..
- Additional Title(s):
Life of Alfred the Great
- Oxford : Printed at the Theater for Maurice Atkins at the Golden-Ball in St. Paul's Church-Yard, Lond., MDCCIX 
- Physical Description:
- , 238,  p.,  leaf of plates : port. ; 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA153 .S64 1709Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Frontispiece and title page vignette engraved by M. (Michael) Burghers.
"Imprimatur, Guil. Lancaster, Vic-Can. Oxon. March 5, 1709."--Verso of title page.
English short title catalogue, T147373
Addenda & emendanda: p.  at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in Cambridge-style calf. Armorial bookplate: Hursley.
- Subject Terms:
- Alfred, King of England, 849-899.Anglo-Saxons -- England -- Wessex -- Kings and rulers -- Biography.Atkins, Maurice -- Printer.Great Britain -- History -- Alfred, 871-899.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Biography -- Early works to 1800.Hearne, Thomas -- Publisher.Hursley -- Bookplate.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Engravings -- 1709.
YCBA Collections Search
Spelman, John, Sir, 1594-1643, The life of Ælfred the Great , MDCCIX 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.