Interesting historical events, relative to the provinces of Bengal, and the empire of Indostan : with a seasonable hint and perswasive to the honourable the court of directors of the East India Company : as also the mythology and cosmogony, fasts and festivals of the Gentoo's, followers of the Shastah : and a dissertation on the metempsychosis, commonly, though erroneously, called the Pythagorean doctrine / by J.Z. Holwell, esq.
- London : Printed for T. Becket and P.A. De Hondt, 1766-1771.
- Physical Description:
- 3 pt. : ill., maps ; 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS462 .H65 1766Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Pt. 1, 2d ed., corrected with a supplement.
Includes 4 maps.
Each part with separate pagination and register.
Errata slip inserted at end.
BAC: British Art Center copy includes the second edition of part 1, and the first edition of parts 2 and 3. Bound in 1 volume, in contemporary gilt-tooled calf. Armorial bookplate: Rev. James Phillott.
- Subject Terms:
- Becket, T. -- Publisher.Bengal (India) -- History -- Early works to 1800.De Hondt, P.A. -- Publisher.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1766-1771.Hinduism -- Early works to 1800.India -- History -- European settlements, 1500-1765 -- Early works to 1800.Mogul Empire -- Early works to 1800.Phillott, James, Rev. -- Bookplate.Telugu (Indic people) -- Social life and customs -- Early works to 1800.Transmigration -- Early works to 1800.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Holwell, J. Z. (John Zephaniah), 1711-1798, Interesting historical events, relative to the provinces of Bengal, and the empire of Indostan , 1766-1771
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.