Travelling game of India [game] : amusing & instructive.
- Liverpool : Arthur Newling ; 1858.
London : Thomas Hatchard, Simpkin, Marshall & Co. ; 1858.
Edinburgh : Oliver & Boyd, 1858.
- Physical Description:
- 1 game : ill., map ; 17 x 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS421.B37 T73 1858+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title of the map (game board): A travelling game of India : designed to afford instruction and amuseument in the home circle.
Title of the text: The guide book to the travelling game of India : with illustrative woodcuts. Designed to convey, in an interesting form, information respecting that great country, in its historical, geographical, social, and religious aspects. Prepared by a clergyman for the home circle.
Title from wood-engraved illustration affixed to the front cover to the game board.
Imprint from map; date from the guide book.
BAC: British Art Center copy complete.
Consists of a game board (a hand-colored fold-out map of India); 36 wood-engraved illustrations of scenes in India, printed on sheets of blue paper; and a volume of text (100 p.), which includes the rules of the game and a guide to India.
The author, David Thomas Barry, was a member of the Church Missionary Society. The text of the guidebook includes strong Christian missionary themes.
- Subject Terms:
- Amusements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.British -- India.Church Missionary Society -- India.Geographical recreations -- Specimens.Hatchard, Thomas -- Publisher.India -- Description and travel.India -- Guidebooks.Missions, British -- India.Newling, Arthur -- Publisher.Oliver & Boyd -- Publisher.Simpkin, Marshall & Co. -- Publisher.
- Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Wood engravings -- 1858.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1858.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.