The royal gauger, or, Gauging made perfectly easy : as it is actually practised by the officers of His Majesty's revenue of excise : in two parts : Part I. Containing the practical methods of finding the areas and contents of such superficies and solids, as are the foundation of gauging ... Part II. Shewing all the necessary steps to be taken for obtaining employment in the excise ... to which is added, cask-gauging, &c. as practised in the port of London : the whole illustrated with many new copper-plates adapted to the subject ... / by Charles Leadbetter.
- The fifth edition / very much enl. and improved. From the valuable and authentic manuscripts of a collector; and of Mr. John Downer and Mr. Joseph Bosley, general surveyors of the London distillery, lately deceased.
- London : Printed (by assignment from the executors of Edward Wicksteed) for C. Hitch and L. Hawes, R. Baldwin, J. Richardson [and 7 others], 1760.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, , 474 [i.e. 484] p., 10 folded leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHF5716.L3 L43 1760Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Signatures: A-O⁸ ²O⁴ (chi1 + ²O⁴) P-2G⁸ 2H⁶ (2H6 blank).
Pp. 209-218 repeated in paging.
English short title catalogue, T121904
Catalogue of the Goldsmiths' Library of Economic Literature, 9593
Higgs, H. Bibliography of economics, 1751-1775 2256
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original calf binding. Inscribed: John Wilson. Officer of Glasgow. 23th Division. 30th January 1845. Includes contemporary annotations, probably those of Wilson.
- Subject Terms:
- Gagine -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Gaging.Geometry, Solid -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain. Customs Establishment. -- Officials and employees -- Selection and appointment.Hitch, C. -- Publisher.Wilson, John -- Provenance.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1760.
YCBA Collections Search
Leadbetter, Charles, fl. 1728, The royal gauger, or, Gauging made perfectly easy , 1760
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.