Leadbetter, Charles, fl. 1728, The royal gauger, or, Gauging made perfectly easy , 1760
- The royal gauger, or, Gauging made perfectly easy : as it is actually practised by the officers of His Majesty's revenue of excise : in two parts : Part I. Containing the practical methods of finding the areas and contents of such superficies and solids, as are the foundation of gauging ... Part II. Shewing all the necessary steps to be taken for obtaining employment in the excise ... to which is added, cask-gauging, &c. as practised in the port of London : the whole illustrated with many new copper-plates adapted to the subject ... / by Charles Leadbetter.
- The fifth edition / very much enl. and improved. From the valuable and authentic manuscripts of a collector; and of Mr. John Downer and Mr. Joseph Bosley, general surveyors of the London distillery, lately deceased.
- London : Printed (by assignment from the executors of Edward Wicksteed) for C. Hitch and L. Hawes, R. Baldwin, J. Richardson [and 7 others], 1760.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, , 474 [i.e. 484] p., 10 folded leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsHF5716.L3 L43 1760Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Signatures: A-O⁸ ²O⁴ (chi1 + ²O⁴) P-2G⁸ 2H⁶ (2H6 blank).
Pp. 209-218 repeated in paging.
ESTC (RLIN), T121904
Goldsmiths' Lib. cat. 9593
Higgs, H. Bibl. of economics 2256
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original calf binding. Inscribed: John Wilson. Officer of Glasgow. 23th Division. 30th January 1845. Includes contemporary annotations, probably those of Wilson.
- Subject Terms:
- Gagine -- Handbooks, manuals, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Gaging.Geometry, Solid -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain. Customs Establishment. -- Officials and employees -- Selection and appointment.Hitch, C. -- Publisher.Wilson, John -- Provenance.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1760.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.