Internationalism and the arts in Britain and Europe at the fin de siècle , c2009
Internationalism and the arts in Britain and Europe at the fin de siècle / Grace Brockington (ed.).
- Oxford ; Peter Lang, c2009.
New York : Peter Lang, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 334 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryNX543 .I54 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Essays from the conference titled Internationalism and the arts : Anglo-European cultural exchange at the fin de siècle, held at Magdalene College, Cambridge in July 2006.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Arts, British -- 19th century -- Congresses.Arts, British -- 20th century -- Congresses.Arts, European -- 19th century -- Congresses.Arts, European -- 20th century -- Congresses.Europe -- Intellectual life -- Congresses.Europe -- Relations -- Great Britain -- Congresses.Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- Congresses.Great Britain -- Relations -- Europe -- Congresses.Internationalism -- History -- 19th century -- Congresses.Internationalism -- History -- 20th century -- Congresses.
- Introduction: Internationalism and the arts / Grace Brockington
- Walter Sickert and the language of art / Anna Gruetzner Robins
- Music and the borders of rationality : discourses of place in the work of John Foulds / James Mansell
- "The venerable artist's fiery speeches ringing in my soul" : the artistic impact of William Morris and his circle in nineteenth-century Russia / Rosalind P. Blakesley
- The arts and crafts movement, internationalism, and vernacular revival in Central Europe, c. 1900 / Andrzej Szczerski
- The Wildes of Bohemia : the cosmopolitan voice of Modern revue / Neil Stewart
- Cambridge University and the Germanist bridge : the aesthetics and politics of internationalism at the fin de siècle / Matthew Potter
- The trouble with cosmopolitans : Forster and Ford between nation and internationalism / Petra Rau
- Ibsenism and Shakespeare : insularity and internationalism in early British Ibsen reception / Tore Rem
- Internationalist in spite of themselves : Britain and Belgium at the fin de siècle / Anne Leonard
- Transnational endeavours and the "totality of knowledge" : Paul Otlet and Henri La Fontaine as "integral internationalists" in fin-de-siècle Europe / Daniel Laqua
- Between the lines : George Bernard Shaw as cultural and political mediator / Hannes Schweiger
- "A Jacob's ladder between country and country" : art and diplomacy before the First World War / Grace Brockington.