Internationalism and the arts in Britain and Europe at the fin de siècle , c2009
Internationalism and the arts in Britain and Europe at the fin de siècle / Grace Brockington (ed.).
- Oxford ; Peter Lang, c2009.
New York : Peter Lang, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 334 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryNX543 .I54 2009 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Essays from the conference titled Internationalism and the arts : Anglo-European cultural exchange at the fin de siècle, held at Magdalene College, Cambridge in July 2006.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Arts, British -- 19th century -- Congresses.Arts, British -- 20th century -- Congresses.Arts, European -- 19th century -- Congresses.Arts, European -- 20th century -- Congresses.Europe -- Intellectual life -- Congresses.Europe -- Relations -- Great Britain -- Congresses.Great Britain -- Intellectual life -- Congresses.Great Britain -- Relations -- Europe -- Congresses.Internationalism -- History -- 19th century -- Congresses.Internationalism -- History -- 20th century -- Congresses.
- Introduction: Internationalism and the arts / Grace Brockington
- Walter Sickert and the language of art / Anna Gruetzner Robins
- Music and the borders of rationality : discourses of place in the work of John Foulds / James Mansell
- "The venerable artist's fiery speeches ringing in my soul" : the artistic impact of William Morris and his circle in nineteenth-century Russia / Rosalind P. Blakesley
- The arts and crafts movement, internationalism, and vernacular revival in Central Europe, c. 1900 / Andrzej Szczerski
- The Wildes of Bohemia : the cosmopolitan voice of Modern revue / Neil Stewart
- Cambridge University and the Germanist bridge : the aesthetics and politics of internationalism at the fin de siècle / Matthew Potter
- The trouble with cosmopolitans : Forster and Ford between nation and internationalism / Petra Rau
- Ibsenism and Shakespeare : insularity and internationalism in early British Ibsen reception / Tore Rem
- Internationalist in spite of themselves : Britain and Belgium at the fin de siècle / Anne Leonard
- Transnational endeavours and the "totality of knowledge" : Paul Otlet and Henri La Fontaine as "integral internationalists" in fin-de-siècle Europe / Daniel Laqua
- Between the lines : George Bernard Shaw as cultural and political mediator / Hannes Schweiger
- "A Jacob's ladder between country and country" : art and diplomacy before the First World War / Grace Brockington.