Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Studies of the horse, and other animals, landscape-figures, &c. , 
Studies of the horse, and other animals, landscape-figures, &c. / by H. Alken.
- Additional Title(s):
- London : R. Ackermann, Junr's. Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent Streer, may also be had at 96 Strand, 
- Physical Description:
- 29 prints in 1 volume : soft-ground etchings, lithographs ; sheet 18 x 26 cm, in volume 20 x 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF303 .A45 1841+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Foliation: , 24,  leaves.
Date of publication from Podeschi.
"Although it is speculated that this work -- with 24 softground-etched studies of rural and equine subjects -- was originally published in 1830, this particular issue -- with four extra studies of the horse printed by lithography -- appeared circa 1841. The imprint on each of the lithographs reads: 'London, Published May 1st 1841 by Rudolph Ackermann, Eclipse Sporting Gallery, 191 Regent Street.' ..."--Podeschi.
Soft-ground etchings by and after Henry Alken.
Title page is engraved.
Bound in pebbled green cloth; gilt-stamped cover title within gilt-stamped oval frame: Alken's horse.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 137
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary green pebbled cloth; gilt-stamped cover title within gilt-stamped oval frame. Publisher's advertisements, printed in black on white paper labels, are pasted to the front and back pastedowns.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Landscapes -- Pictorial works.
- Soft-ground etchings -- 1841.
Lithographs -- 1841.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.