Badcock, John, active 1816-1830, The grooms' oracle, and pocket stable directory , 1831
- The grooms' oracle, and pocket stable directory : in which the management of horses generally as to health, dieting, and exercise are considered, in a series of familiar dialogues between two grooms engaged in training horses to their work / by John Hinds, V.S. ... ; from the second London edition, with notes and an appendix, including extracts from the receipt book of the author.
- Philadelphia : E.L. Carey and A. Hart : sold by J. Grigg, Philadelphia ; G. & C. & H. Cavill and Collins & Hannay, New York : Carter, Hendee & Babcock, Boston : W. & J. Neal, Baltimore : and Thompson & Homans, Washington, 1831.
- Physical Description:
- xii, , 13-228,  pages,  folded leaf of plates : illustrations ; 19 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285.3 .B33 1831Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Frontispiece illustration by Samuel Alken.
"John Hinds" is a pseudonym of John Badcock.
Error in paging: p. 130 misnumbered 13.
Checklist Amer. imprints 5851
Publisher's advertisement, pages [229-230].
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary brown calf, rebacked. Bookplate: John Stuart Groves. Ink stamps: Edwd. Bayard; Marshall G. Hill, Afton, N.Y.
- Subject Terms:
- Bayard, Edward -- Stamp.Groves, John Stuart -- Bookplate.Hall, Marshall G. -- Stamp.Horses -- Diseases.Horses -- Training.Horses.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1831.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.