The gentleman farrier's repository, of elegant and approved remedies for the diseases of horses; : in two books. Containing, I. The surgical; II. The medical part of practical farriery; also, directions for the proper treatment of post chaise and other horses, after violent exercise. : With suitable remarks on the whole. : To which are now added; observations on broken-winded horses, endeavouring to prove the seat of that malady not to be in the lungs. : [Three lines from Ovid] / By J. Bartlet, surgeon.
- The third edition.
- Philadelphia: : Printed and sold by Joseph Crukshank, in Market-Street, between Second and Third Streets., M,DCC,LXXV. 
- Physical Description:
- xii, 293,  pages ; 17 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF951 .B37 1775 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF951 .B37 1775 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Part II has caption title: Pharmacopoeia hippiatrica.
Edition statement transposed; precedes "By J. Bartlet, surgeon." on title page.
Signatures: A-2B⁶ 2C⁴.
Errors in paging: p. 124, 288 misnumbered 142, 188.
Evans, C. American bibliography, 13826
Hildeburn, C.R. Pennsylvania, 3163
National Library of Medicine (U.S.). Early American medical imprints, 130
"A catalogue of books printed and sold by Joseph Crukshank ..."--pages [294-296].
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in later calf.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in later sprinkled calf and marbled boards, by Bayntun, Bath, England. Inscription to Paul Mellon from Chester Kerr. Letter from John G. Ryden with the Yale University Press removed to file.
- Subject Terms:
- Bayntun -- Binder.Horses -- Diseases -- Early works to 1800.Kerr, Chester -- Presentation inscription to Paul Mellon.Mellon, Paul -- Presentation inscription from Chester Kerr.Ryden, John -- TLS to Paul Mellon, 1996 March 14.Veterinary medicine -- Early works to 1800.Veterinary surgery -- Early works to 1800.
- Booksellers' catalogs -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia.
YCBA Collections Search
Bartlet, J. (John), 1716?-1772, The gentleman farrier's repository, of elegant and approved remedies for the diseases of horses; , M,DCC,LXXV. 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.