Hunting / by his grace the Duke of Beaufort, and Mowbray Morris ; with contributions by the Earl of Suffolk and Berkshire, E.W.L. Davies, Digby Collins, and Alfred E.T. Watson ; with illustrations by J. Sturgess and J. Charlton.
- London : Longmans, Green, and Co., 1885.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 401 p. : ill. (wood engravings) ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK31 .B43 1885Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Illustrations also by Agnes M. Biddulph.
With a frontispiece chromolithographed by Spottiswoode & Co.
Printed by Spottiswoode and Co., New-Street-Square.
Edition of 250 large paper copies.
Title page printed in black and red, with a wood-engraved vignette.
Slater, J.H. Illustrated sporting pooks, p. 15
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 183 of 250 copies. Bound in publisher's original blue half roan and gold cloth; rebacked.
Intended as a "modern encyclopaedia, to which the inexperienced man, who seeks guidance in the practice of hunting, can turn for information" (Preface).
- Subject Terms:
- Fox hunting.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hunting.Longsman, Green and Co. -- Publisher.Spottiswoode and Co. -- Printer.
- Chromolithographs -- 1885.
Wood engravings -- 1885.
- Chapter 1: The History and Literature of Hunting
- Chapter 2: Beasts of the Chase, the Stag, the Fox and His Habits, Harriers and The Hare, Beagles
- Chapter 3: The Stable
- Chapter 4: The Kennel
- Chapter 5: Hunt Servants-the Duties of a Huntsman in the Field. The Duties of a Whipper-In. The Duties of the Kennel Huntsman. The Duties of an Earth -Stopper. Compensation for Damages done by Horsemen and by Foxes. Artificial Fox Earths
- Chapter 6: The Horse
- Chapter 7: The Rider
- Chapter 8: The Shires
- Chapter 9: the Provinces
- Chapter 10: Hunting from London
- Chapter 11: The Otter and His Ways
- Appendices. A. List of Masters of Hounds, and Servants. B. Names of Hounds. C. Hunting Terms. D. Bibliography.