The old English 'squire : "a jovial gay fox hunter, bold, frank and free" : a poem in ten cantos / by John Careless, Esq. ; illustrated with plates by one of the family.
- London : Printed for Thomas M'Lean, 26, Haymarket, by Howlett and Brimmer, Frith Street, Soho, 1821.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 136 pages,  leaves of plates : color illustrations ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR6101.A27 O43 1821+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR6101.A27 O43 1821+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- By William Andrew Chatto.
"Price £1 11s. 6d. Extra boards."--Spine label.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 112
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 387
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original green cloth, with printed cover and spine labels. Armorial bookplate: Edward Daly.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is bound in original gray boards, with publisher's printed labels on front cover and spine. Armorial bookplate: J. Barton Townsend. Bookseller's label: John Pennington & Son ... Philadelphia.
BEIN 2014 +81: 30 cm. Original boards, with publisher's printed labels on front cover and spine.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- Great Britain.Daly, Edward -- Bookplate.English poetry.English wit and humor.Satire, English.Townsend, J. Barton -- Bookplate.Wit and humor.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Binders' stamps (Binding)
- Plates: The old squire
- Fetching the midwife
- Dressing the young squire
- Young squire gets ferrul'd for neglecting his studies
- Breaking cover, or Hunting in Hampshire
- Tries a new shooting pony, which won't do
- Crammed at college by his tutor for a degree
- Gets cheated by his miller who grinds oats for him
- Young squire goes to London and gets his pockets eased
- Takes lessons in dancing
- Sits for his portrait
- Goes to the opera
- Buys an historical picture. St. Anthony preaching to the fishes
- Goes to a picture sale
- Rides home on a borrowed horse
- Mistakes mushrooms for game and spoils their shape
- Meets with a small accident
- His gun misses fire, because he had forgot to load it
- Goes with some friends to shoot grouse on the moors
- Not the safest way to carry loaded guns in a wood
- Spurs himself in the wrong place
- Sees a water kelpy
- The village schoolmaster, fond of little bits
- A cheerful dance.