Exploration of the valley of the Amazon / by Lieut. Wm. Lewis Herndon, United States Navy ; with map and plates.
- Additional Title(s):
Spine title: Valley of the Amazons
- Washington : Taylor & Maury, 1854.
- Physical Description:
- , iii, , 6-414 pages, 16,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations, color map ; 23 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF2546.H47 E97 1854Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Illustrations after Lardner Gibbon. Printed by Ackerman, Lith. 379 Broadway, NY. Map lithographed by A. Hoen & Co.
Spine title: Valley of the Amazons.
First published: Washington, D.C. : R. Armstrong, 1853-1854 as v. 1 of a 2 volume set; v. 2 by Lardner Gibbon.
Lithographs colored with tint block.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's brown blind-stamped cloth. Autograph: Willm. Rowe.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackerman -- Printer.Amazon River Valley -- Description and travel.Amazon River Valley -- Discovery and exploration -- AmericanBolivia -- Description and travel.Brazil -- Description and travel.Peru -- Description and travel.Rowe, William -- Autograph.South America -- Description and travel.United States -- Exploring expeditions.
- Travel literature -- Washington (D.C.) -- 19th century.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1854.
- Illustrations: Cathedal of Lima
- Hacienda de Moyoe
- San Mateo
- Summit of the Cordillera
- Mountain of Puypuy
- Fort San Ramo
- Cerro Pasco
- Ore carier
- Zaparo, (Hunter)
- Zaparo, (Fisher)