Cruise, Colin, Pre-raphaelite drawing , c2011
- Pre-raphaelite drawing / Colin Cruise.
- London : Thames & Hudson, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- 248 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryN6767.5 P7 C78 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published on the occasion of an exhibition The poetry of drawing: Pre-raphaelite designs, studies and watercolours held at the Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery January 29-May 15, 2011 and the Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney June 17-September 4, 2011.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 237-241) and index.
- Drawings and drawing : a Pre-Raphaelite introduction -- The flat, the antique and the life : academic drawing and the Pre-Raphaelites -- Direct and heartfelt : early influences on Pre-Raphaelite drawing -- Studying nature attentively : Ruskin and Pre-Raphaelitism -- Drawing the circle : portraits, self-portraits and caricatures -- Pre-Raphaelite compositions : drawing history, drawing modernity -- The poetry of illustration : disseminating Pre-Raphaelite drawing in the 1850s and 1860s -- Working drawings : design and pattern from the Pre-Raphaelites to the arts and crafts movement -- The aesthetics of drawing from the 1860s to the 1890s : the Pre-Raphaelite influence.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing, British -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.Pre-Raphaelites -- Great Britain -- Exhibitions.