The image of the Black in western art / David Bindman and Henry Louis Gates, Jr., general editors ; Karen C.C. Dalton, associate editor.
- New edition.
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2010-2014.
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes in 10 : illustrations (chiefly color), color maps ; 29 cm.
- Reference LibraryN8217.B535 I42 2010 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Published in collaboration with the W.E.B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research and the Menil Collection.
Edition statement corresponds to volumes 1-2 and 4. Volumes 3 and 5 are first editions.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
"New editions of the coveted five original books and the anticipated new volumes, which shall complete the series. The completed set will include ten sumptuous books in five volumes with up-to-date introductions and more full-color illustrations, printed on high-quality art stock for books that will last a lifetime. This monumental publication offers expert commentary and a lavishly illustrated history of the representations of people of African descent ranging from the ancient images of Pharaohs created by unknown hands to the works of the great European masters such as Bosch, Rembrandt, Rubens, and Hogarth to stunning new creations by contemporary black artists. Featuring thousands of beautiful, moving, and often little-known images of black people, including queens and slaves, saints and soldiers, children and gods, The Image of the Black in Western Art provides a treasury of masterpieces from four millennia--a testament to the black experience in the West and a tribute to art's enduring power to shape our common humanity"--Book Jacket.
- Subject Terms:
- Afrikaner.Art and race.Art and race.Art, African -- Themes, motives.Art, African -- Themes, motives.Blacks in art.Blacks in art.Blacks in art.Exotismus.Fremdbild Motiv.Gemälde.Kunst -- Motiv -- Schwarze -- Geschichte.Kunst.Malerei.Malerei.Motiv.Schwarze -- Motiv -- Kunst -- Geschichte.Schwarze Motiv.Schwarze.Westliche Welt.Westliche Welt.
YCBA Collections Search
The image of the Black in western art , 2010-2014