Wallis's new dissected map of America : engraved from the latest authorities, for the use of young students in geography [cartographic material].
- Additional Title(s):
New dissected map of America
- [London] : [John Wallis], [between 1812 and 1818]
- Physical Description:
- 1 jigsaw puzzle (39 pieces) : paper on wood, hand colored ; 26 x 21 cm, on sheet 28 x 23 cm, in wooden box 16 x 13 x 4 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG3291.A9 1812 .W3 Flat AYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Scale [ca. 1:55,000,000] -- (W 170⁰--W 30⁰/N 70⁰--S 55⁰).
- Title from original engraved label, on box lid.
Label on side of wooden box: America.
"J. Wallis, the original manufacturer of dissected maps and puzzles (having dedicated full 30 years to that particular line of business) requests the public to observe that all his dissected articles are superior both in correctness & workmanship to any in London, & that none are genuine but what are signed on the label, John Wallis, No. 42 Skinner Street, Snow Hill."--Label on box lid. John Wallis was active at No. 42 Skinner Street from 1812 to 1818. See: Worms, L. British map engravers.
Wallis published at least one other jigsaw map with the same title. The other map is larger (48 x 42 cm), with variation in geographic coverage. See Library of Congress G3291.A9 1812 .W3 (https://lccn.loc.gov/85697801).
Restricted fragile material. Use requires permission of the Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts.
BAC: British Art Center copy is hand colored. In original wooden box, with printed label.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Maps.Geographical recreations -- Specimens.
- Jigsaw puzzles.
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1812-1818.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Wallis, J. (John), -1818, Wallis's new dissected map of America : engraved from the latest authorities, for the use of young students in geography, [between 1812 and 1818]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.