Howitt, Samuel, 1765?-1822, The British sportsman, published March 1st, 1800
The British sportsman.
- [London] : [Samuel Howitt], published March 1st, 1800.
- Physical Description:
-  leaf,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 23 x 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSK31 .H69 1798+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title page is engraved. Foot of title page: "To every British sportsman, and lover of the arts, is most respectfully dedicated the following work, designed and executed by his obedient and obliged servant S. Howitt."
The etchings are dated from May 12, 1798, to March 1, 1800.
At foot of letterpress table of contents: "Printed by J. Bateson, Denmark-Str., Soho."
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 75
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, 1658-1874, page 108
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary sprinkled calf, rebacked. Binder's label: "Bound by T. Reynold's, 137, Oxford Street." Armorial bookplate: Charles Winn.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Fox hunting -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Horses -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Hunting -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.Reynolds, T. -- Bookbinder.Winn, Charles -- Bookplate.
- Etchings -- 1798-1800.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.