The history and present state of Virginia : in four parts : I. The history of the first settlement of Virginia, and the government thereof, to the present time -- II. The natural productions and conveniencies of the country, suited to trade and improvement -- III. The native Indians, their religion, laws, and customs, in war and peace. -- IV. The present state of the country, as to the polity of the government, and the improvements of the land / by a native and inhabitant of the place.
- London : Printed for R. Parker, at the Unicorn, under the Piazza's of the Royal-Exchange, MDCCV 
- Physical Description:
- , 104, 40, 64, 83, , 16,  pages,  leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations ; 20 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsF229 .B48 1705Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Signatures: A⁴ a², B-G⁸ H⁴, 2A-2B⁸ 2C⁴, A***-D***⁸, 4A-4E⁸ 4F², chi⁸ *²
Added engraved title page: arms of Virginia over title "The history and present state of Virginia. By R.B. gent. S. Gribelin sculps." The plates engraved by Gribelin are reproductions of John White's drawings as published by De Bry in Hariot's Admiranda narratio.
Attributed to Robert Beverley by ESTC, Kress Lib., DAB, etc.
"Table," 16,  pages, bound at end.
Errata on verso of final page of table of contents. Folded leaf inserted before page 1 of Book I.
English short title catalogue, T071491
Catalogue of the Goldsmiths' Library of Economic Literature, 4175
Sabin, J. Dictionary of books relating to America from its discovery to the present time, 5112
Vail, R. Old frontier, 297
Library Company of Philadelphia. Afro-Americana, 1553-1906, 1149
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary speckled calf. Signed in manuscript: "Robt. Lowther. Mary Lowther (1744)."
- Subject Terms:
- Bry, Theodor de, 1528-1598. Admiranda narratio -- Illustrations.Chon -- 1705.Indians of North America -- Virginia.Lowther, Mary -- Autograph.Lowther, Robert -- Autograph.Slavery -- Virginia.Virginia -- Description and travel.Virginia -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- Engravings -- 1705.
YCBA Collections Search
Beverley, Robert, approximately 1673-1722, The history and present state of Virginia , MDCCV 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.