- London : C. Sloper, Lambeth Road, [ca. 1814]
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : engraving ; 23 x 46 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Portrait medallion of Ferdinand VII, King of Spain, flanked by English and Spanish flags. Below the the portrait appears the badge of the town of Seville ("NO8DO"). On either side of the portrait are the arms of England and Spain, with the inscriptions "Laurilés para los valientes," and "La Cruz es mi consuelo mi espada mi defensa." Enclosed within an ornamental border to the fan.
An unmounted fan leaf, printed in a semi-circular form.
Presumably created for the Spanish market, circa 1814, for the restoration of Ferdinand VII.
British Museum. Department of Prints and Drawings. Catalogue of the collection of fans and fan-leaves (1893), 45
BAC: British Art Center copy is the fourth of five engraved fan leaves depicting the Peninsular War and the restoration of Ferdinand VII, housed together.
- Subject Terms:
- Ferdinand VII, -- Portraits.Peninsular War, 1807-1814 -- Pictorial works.
- Engravings -- 1814.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.