Album of photographs from tours on the Isle of Wight, 1921-1922
- Album of photographs from tours on the Isle of Wight.
- England, 1921-1922.
- Physical Description:
- 1 volume (115 photographs)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W6 A53 1921+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Album of 115 photographs, of various sizes, recording tours on the Isle of Wight and other English coastal locations, in 1921 and 1922. Many of the photographs feature a GWK motor car belonging to the compilers. Most of the photographs depict sea-side locations, or portraits of family and friends. Captions are written in graphite on the reverse side of many of the photos; some of the captions are dated.
The identities of the compilers--a middle-aged married couple--are not established in full. Based on the captions, they appear to be Knightley (or K.V.O.) and Nancy. Nancy is the subject of many of the photos--presumably taken by Knightley. Their collie "Tip" appears in several photos. There are also multiple images of a girl named Ivy, who may be the couple's daughter.
It is unclear whether the compilers lived on the Isle of Wight, or merely took many photographs there while visiting. Locations depicted include the Bembridge Sailing Club, Mersley Down, Ventnor (including the pier at Ventnor, and a carnival), and Ryde. Other locations visited in England include Ashley Down and Southsea. The final two pages feature a number of photographs of a visit to Paris, and one large photograph of a party preparing for a formal fox hunt.
The album is bound in contemporary patterned cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Automobiles -- Great Britain.Fox hunting -- Great Britain.GWK automobile.Isle of Wight (England) -- Pictorial works.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.