Elements of graphic arts. Vol. I / by Archibald Robertson.
- New York : Published by David Longworth, at the Shakespeare Gallery, near the theatre, 1802
- Physical Description:
- 16 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 43 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 16Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View catalog record for the related manuscript material by Archibald Robertson
- No more published.
Shaw & Shoemaker, 3003
Includes three plates, with illustrations on drawing heads and limbs, perspective, and clouds and trees.
BAC: British Art Center copy is part of a group of instructional manuscript material written by Archibald Robertson for his brother Andrew Robertson. Inscribed: To Mr. Andrew Robertson, from his affectionate brother Archd. Robertson. 79 Liberty Street, New York, Jany 6, 1803.
The first detailed drawing manual to be published in the United States.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Study and teaching.Landscape painting -- Study and teaching.Painting -- History.Painting -- Study and teaching.
- Drawing books.
- I. On historical painting
- II. Of landscape
- III. Theory of painting
- IV. History of painting.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.