The gentleman's new pocket farrier : comprising a general description of the noble and useful animal, the horse; together with the quickest and simplest mode of fattening : necessary treatment while undergoing excessive fatigue : also, a concise account of the diseases to which the horse is subject : with such remedies as long experience has proved to be effectual / by Richard Mason.
- Fourth edition / enlarged and improved : to which is added an appendix, containing observations and receipts for the cure of most of the common distempers incident to horses, oxen, cows, calves, sheep, lambs, swine, dogs, &c. : selected from different authors : also, an adenda, containing annals of the turf, or Virginia stud book.
- Richmond : Printed by Peter Cottom and for sale at his law and miscellaneous book store near the Eagle Hotel, 1828.
- Physical Description:
- 300 pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF285 .M37 1828Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Originally published in 1811 as The gentleman's new pocket companion. Peter Cottom bought the rights and changed the title in subsequent editions to The gentleman's new pocket farrier. See: Henderson.
Henderson, R.W. Early American sport, 122
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 132
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary sprinkled calf; rebacked.
- Subject Terms:
- Horses -- Diseases.Horses.Veterinary medicine.
- Engravings -- 1828.
Wood engravings -- 1828.
YCBA Collections Search
Mason, Richard, active 1808-1861?, The gentleman's new pocket farrier , 1828
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.