The roadsters album.
- London : Messrs. Fores, 41, Piccadilly, 1845.
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.N49 R63 1845+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND497.N49 R63 1845+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 407
Engraved throughout, including title page.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 346
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 126
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound in full gilt-tooled morocco, by Bickers & Son, London. Bookplate: Lucius Wilmerding.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in dark green half morocco and green cloth. Original purple cloth wrappers bound in at end. Armorial bookplate: John Croft Deverell. May be considered the first rare book collected by Paul Mellon (cf. Paul Mellon's legacy, p. 58).
Coaching scenes, by Charles B. Newhouse.
- Subject Terms:
- Bickers & Son -- Bookbinder.Carriages and carts -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Coaching (Transportation) -- Great Britain.Deverell, John Croft -- Bookplate.Fores, Messrs. -- Publisher.Transportation -- Great Britain -- 19th century.Wilmerding, Lucius, 1880-1949 -- Bookplate.
- Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1845.
- Travelling in a hunting country. I hope you are not hurt much Sir?
- The roadsters album [engraved title]
- An unknown fare. All that luggage by the mail ma'am! quite impossible
- The drag is broke & we are on the bank
- Is the bottom pretty sound?
- A false start
- Taking an inside birth. It strike me we're going to have some rough weather
- No time to lose ma'am! here's the other coach close behind
- Hold hard! You have forgot the Lady!
- An aukward place in a frost
- I'm afraid we have now got into the ditch
- The sleepy gate-keeper
- The old grey loosed his trace again!
- Quite full sir!
- One mile from Gretna. Our Governor in sight!
- An arrival at Gretna, overtaken by the Guardian
- Going to the moors.
Paul Mellon's Legacy : A Passion for British Art (Yale Center for British Art, 2007-04-18 - 2007-07-29) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]