The British thoroughbred : reproducing sixteen original paintings by the masters of horse portraiture, with detailed biographical commentaries on the horses / by Vincent Orchard.
- Additional Title(s):
British thoroughbred 1700-1850
- London : Ariel Press, 1966.
- Physical Description:
- 9,  p., xvi leaves,  leaves of plates : col. ill. ; 42 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 63Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title: The British thoroughbred, 1700-1850.
Introduction by John Cadfryn-Roberts.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original gilt-stamped brown cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Ariel Press -- Publisher.Horses in art.Painting, British.Race horses -- Great Britain -- Biography.Race horses -- Great Britain -- History.
- Photomechanical prints -- 1966.
- Plates: Flying Childers, painted by James Seymour
- Second, painted by James Seymour
- Gimcrack, painted by George Stubbs
- Eclipse, painted by George Stubbs
- Diomed, painted by John Nost Sartorius
- Dungannon, painted by John Nost Sartorius
- Eleanor, painted by Edwin Cooper
- Phantom, painted by Benjamin Marshall
- Lottery, painted by John Frederick Herring, Senr.
- Matilda, painted by John Frederick Herring, Senr.
- Mameluke, painted by Benjamin Marshall
- Riddlesworth, painted by John Ferneley, Senr.
- Touchstone, painted by John Frederick Herring, Senr.
- Plenipotentiary, painted by Abraham Cooper
- Elis, painted by Abraham Cooper
- Crucifix, painted by Harry Hall.