Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Fores's steeple chase scenes , 
- Fores's steeple chase scenes : illustrative of the sport : a series of six plates / from original drawings by H. Alken, sen.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Steeple chase scenes
- London : Published by Messrs. Fores, 
- Physical Description:
-  p., 6 leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 40 x 57 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 31Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Aquatint engravings by John Harris; after Henry Alken.
"Published April 24th, 1848"--Plates.
Printed by George Nichols, Earl's Court, Soho.
Issued unbound, with a letterpress title leaf. Verso of the title leaf includes publisher's advertisements.
"Price £2:12:6 the set, colored."--Cover.
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animals prints, p. 28
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed) p. 73
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, with printed title leaf. Has ink stamp of the Duke of Gloucester.
- 1. The starting field -- 2. Wattle fence, with a deep drop -- 3. In and out of the lane -- 4. The warren wall -- 5. The brook -- 6. The run in.
- Subject Terms:
- Gloucester, Duke of -- Provenance.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Horse racing -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Messrs. Fores (Firm) -- Publisher.Nichols, George -- Printer.Steeplechasing -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1848.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.