IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Fores's steeple chase scenes , 
Fores's steeple chase scenes : illustrative of the sport : a series of six plates / from original drawings by H. Alken, sen.
- Additional Title(s):
Steeple chase scenes
- London : Published by Messrs. Fores, 
- Physical Description:
-  p., 6 leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 40 x 57 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 31Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Aquatint engravings by John Harris; after Henry Alken.
"Published April 24th, 1848"--Plates.
Printed by George Nichols, Earl's Court, Soho.
Issued unbound, with a letterpress title leaf. Verso of the title leaf includes publisher's advertisements.
"Price £2:12:6 the set, colored."--Cover.
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animals prints, p. 28
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed) p. 73
BAC: British Art Center copy unbound, with printed title leaf. Has ink stamp of the Duke of Gloucester.
- Subject Terms:
- Gloucester, Duke of -- Provenance.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Horse racing -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Messrs. Fores (Firm) -- Publisher.Nichols, George -- Printer.Steeplechasing -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1848.
- 1. The starting field
- 2. Wattle fence, with a deep drop
- 3. In and out of the lane
- 4. The warren wall
- 5. The brook
- 6. The run in.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.