A method of horsemanship : founded upon new principles : including the breaking and training of horses : with instructions for obtaining a good seat / by F. Baucher ... ; illustrated with engravings.
- Additional Title(s):
Méthode d'équitation basée sur de nouveaux principes. English
- 2d American ed. / rev. and corr. from the 9th Paris ed.
- Philadelphia : A. Hart, 1852.
- Physical Description:
- , -254 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., port. ; 19 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF309 .B37 1852Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Translation into English of: Méthode d'équitation basée sur de nouveaux principes.
The illustrations are lithographs, by Thomas Sinclair.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's blind- and gilt-stamped green cloth. Bookplate: Henry Ashurst. Inscribed: Library Oakland 286; From the collection of Carlyle Baer, 24 VIII 74, JBP.
Baucher, a professional horseman with circus ties, was of the classical school of horse training and riding. His efforts to promote this style of training in the French cavalry were blocked despite the support of no less than Charles Oudinot, the son of Marshal Oudinot of Napoleonic fame.
- Subject Terms:
- Ashurst, Henry -- Bookplate.Baer, Carlyle -- Provenance.Horsemanship.Horses -- Training.Lithography -- Specimens -- 1852.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.