London in 1842 : taken from the summit of the Duke of York's column.
- [London] : Published by W. Little, 198 Strand, London, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : wood engraving ; 91 x 133 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 5Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The panorama was composed after daguerreotypes by Antoine Claudet. The images were drawn on wood by G.F. Sargent, and engraved by Ebenezer Landells (and 18 assistants).
"The print--the first illustrated newspaper giveaway--was presented gratis to all six-month subscribers of the Illustrated London news on 7 January 1843 ... Later the Illustrated London news put the panorama on sale, the two views colored and linked to form one continuous strip (but not one continuous view) ..."--Hyde.
Hyde, R. Gilded scenes and shining prospects, 99
Two bird's eye views of London, printed on one sheet. The top view shows London, looking north from the summit of the Duke of York's column. The bottom view shows London, looking south.
- Subject Terms:
- Little, William -- Publisher.London (England) -- Pictorial works.Palmer & Clayton -- Printer.
- Bird's-eye views -- England -- London -- 1843.
Panoramas -- England -- London -- 1843.
Wood engravings -- 1843.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.