London in 1842 , 
- London in 1842 : taken from the summit of the Duke of York's column.
- [London] : Published by W. Little, 198 Strand, London, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 print : wood engraving ; 91 x 133 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 5Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital image of the north view (top), from the Getty Research Institute digital collections
View a digital image of the south view (bottom), from the Getty Research Institute digital collections
- Two bird's eye views of London, printed on one sheet. The top view shows London, looking north from the summit of the Duke of York's column. The bottom view shows London, looking south.
The panorama was composed after daguerreotypes by Antoine Claudet. The images were drawn on wood by G.F. Sargent, and engraved by Ebenezer Landells (and 18 assistants).
"The print--the first illustrated newspaper giveaway--was presented gratis to all six-month subscribers of the Illustrated London news on 7 January 1843 ... Later the Illustrated London news put the panorama on sale, the two views colored and linked to form one continuous strip (but not one continuous view) ..."--Hyde.
Hyde, R. Gilded scenes and shining prospects, 99
- Subject Terms:
- Little, William -- Publisher.London (England) -- Pictorial works.Palmer & Clayton -- Printer.
- Bird's-eye views -- England -- London -- 1843.
Panoramas -- England -- London -- 1843.
Wood engravings -- 1843.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.