The grand steeple chace over Leicestershire on the 12th of March, 1829 / in a series of eight plates, beautifully coloured from the original paintings by Mr. Henry Alken ; giving portraits of the riders and horses that started on that celebrated day ; with remarks by that distinguished writer, Nimrod, who acted as umpired on the occasion.
- Additional Title(s):
Grand steeple chase over Leicestershire on the 12th of March, 1829
- Second edition.
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, Jun., at his Eclipse Sporting Gallery ..., 1830.
- Physical Description:
-  p., VIII leaves of plates : chiefly ill. ; 46 x 61 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 6Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title, on publisher's printed wrapper.
With  pages of text, printed in two columns.
Aquatint engravings by Charles Bentley, after Henry Thomas Alken.
BAC: British Art Center copy in publisher's original printed wrappers. Bookplate: Henry C. Taylor.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Horse racing -- Pictorial works.Horses -- Pictorial works.Leicestershire (England) -- Social life and customs.Quorn Hunt, England.Steeplechasing -- Pictorial works.Taylor, Henry C. -- Bookplate.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1830.
YCBA Collections Search
Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, The grand steeple chace over Leicestershire on the 12th of March, 1829 , 1830
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.