Journey home / by Sally Waterman.
- [London] : Sally Waterman, 
- Physical Description:
- 6 folded sheets : all ill. ; 4 x 123 cm. folded to 4 x 8 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7433.4.W375 J68 2003Yale Center for British Art, Friends of British Art FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Journey Home is a visual diary of a series of ritualistic journeys made over a five month period between London Waterloo station and Ryde Pier Head on the Isle of Wight, commissioned for the Cross Currents exhibition at Quay Arts, Isle of Wight. Drawing upon Waterman's experience of living in both urban and rural environments, the tension between these two cross cultures is explored and represented by the transitional time and space of her monthly journey home to visit her family. Whilst the destinations and paths of each journey are similar, each one is a unique, individual experience. Although a sense of routine is omnipresent, with recurring images linking all the journeys together, different exterior elements are constantly changing; the weather, the people around her, her mood, the things she notices out of the carriage window, the book she is reading and the clothes she is wearing. As time passes and the seasons change, the passing scenery beyond the window seems to disappear as autumn approaches. When this occurs the images begin to focus more upon the interior of the train carriage itself, her fellow passengers, the ghostly reflections in the window and the fleeting illuminated station platforms."--Artist's website.
Title from the larger box.
Limited edition of 35 copies, each dated (2003), initialled, and numbered by the artist.
Commissioned by Trace Gallery, Weymouth following an installation commissioned by Quay Arts, Isle of Wight.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 16 of 35 copies, initialled by the artist.
Artist's book. Each of 6 accordion-folded sheets has a short description of an evening journey from London Waterloo to Ryde Pier Head, with photographs taken on the journey. Each sheet fits inside a box shaped like a small matchbox (5 x 8 x 2 cm), the six boxes fitting into one larger box (8 x 14 x 3 cm).
- Subject Terms:
- Artists' books -- Great Britain.Photography, Artistic.Railroad travel in art.Waterman, Sally -- Publisher.Waterman, Sally -- Travel -- England.
Artists' books -- Great Britain.
Accordion fold format (Binding)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.