Album of landscape drawings and compiled by W.B. Stapley.
- England, 1855-1870.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. ( leaves) : ill. ; 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.D9 S73 1855+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Little is known about W.B. Stapley. He is recorded as deputy-storekeeper of Tynemouth Castle in Hart's Army List for 1857. Evidence from the present album confirms that he was still active in 1870.
Bound in contemporary maroon quarter leather and patterned green cloth.
Album of topographical drawings by W.B. Stapley, of Tynemouth, together with assorted prints and several photographs, compiled (by Stapley) from 1855 to 1863. The front pastedown is inscribed: "To my friend Mrs. Bretton [?], W.B. Stapley, Tynemouth, Sept. 1856." Below this note is a handwritten table of contents for the album (excluding the prints), with a note that additions were made in 1859-1860 (for Devonshire) and 1863 ("added 1863 after 5 weeks ramble in Cornwall").
There are 29 drawings in graphite, some with added white or wash, executed on papers of various colors, which are mounted to blank pages in the album. Also present are four drawings of hunting scenes, in pen and black ink with gray wash.
Printed items interspersed in the album include several sentimental chromolithographs by George Rowney & Co. and 11 steel engravings of scenery in Scotland, Alnwick, etc.
There are two albumen prints in the album. The first depicts Jesmond, and is transcribed in Stapley's table of contents. The other, on leaf , depicts "Little Fancy nr. Plymouth, Devon, 1870. Residence of W.B. Stapley." On the same leaf is an undated letter noting that "Little Fancy" (a small home) was rented for some time to Major Stapley, who may have in fact died there. The final leaf bears a medal-engraved advertisement for the Suffolk Hotel, Ipswich.
- Subject Terms:
- Alnwick (England) -- Pictorial works.Cornwall (England : County) -- Pictorial works.Durham (England : County) -- Pictorial works.Fox hunting -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Land's End (England) -- Pictorial works.Newcastle upon Tyne (England) -- Pictorial works.Stapley, W. B.Tamar River (England) -- Pictorial works.Tyne, River (England) -- Pictorial works.
- Landscapes (Representations) -- England.
Chromolithographs -- 1855-1870.
- All drawings are in graphite, with added white, except where noted: 1. Tynemouth Priory [watercolor over graphite]
- 2. Jesmond, New Castle [albumen photograph]
- 3. Barnard Castle, Durham
- 4. Abbey Bridge, Rokeby, Durham
- 5. Egglestone Abbey, Rokeby, Durham
- 6. Landulph Church, Cornwall
- 7. Pentilley Castle, on Tamar, Cornwall
- [Four fox-hunting scenes, in pen and black ink with gray wash]
- 8. Gateway, Hulne Abbey [graphite and watercolor]
- 9. Hulne Abbey, Alnwick
- 10. Shields from Tynemouth Castle
- 11. South Shields, from Tynemouth Castle
- 12. Spannish Battery, Mouth of Tyne
- 13. Jesmond, New Castle on Tyne
- 14. North Shields
- 15. Ravensworth Castle, Durham
- 16. Penlilley Castle, Devon
- 17. The Tamar, Devon
- 18. Lamesly Church, Durham
- 19. Mount Edgcumbe, Cornwall
- 20. The Tamar, from Kinterbury House
- 21. Tregothnan House (Lord Falmouth) on the Fal
- 22. Longships Lighton, fm. Lands End
- 23. Pen Olver, fm. Lizard
- 24. Mount Edgecumbe
- 25. Lizard Lights and Bumble Rock-- 26. River Fal from Trelissick
- 27. Bay near Logan Rocks, Lands End
- 28. Meavy Church, Devon
- 29. Kynance Cove, Cornwall
- 30. Fal River, fm. Malpas.
W.B. Stapley, Album of Drawings and Prints, 1855-1870. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund.