Sir Joshua Reynolds, Knight : painted by himself, for the Royal Academy, 1780 ; engrav'd by V. Green, mezzotinto engraver to his Majesty, and to the Elector Palatine.
- [London] : Publish'd by V. Green, Decr. 1st, 1780, No. 29, Newman Street, Oxford Street, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 printing plate : copper ; 49 x 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 38Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a print made from the present plate, Department of Prints and Drawings, B1977.14.10187
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- Title continues: "President of the Royal Academy, member of the Imperial Academy at Florence, Doctor of Laws of the Universities of Oxford and Dublin, and Fellow of the Royal Society."
The reverse has the stamp of Whittow & Large, manufacturers of the plate.
Hamilton, E. Engraved works of Sir Joshua Reynolds, p. 57-58
Mannings, D. Sir Joshua Reynolds, 21
Original copper plate for Valentine Green's mezzotint of a self-portrait by Joshua Reynolds (Mannings 21). The image is that of the second state of Valentine's mezzotint (see Hamilton, Mannings). It depicts Reynolds in three-quarter length, wearing his robes as President of the Royal Academy, his right hand on his hip, his left hand holding a paper and outstretched to rest on a table to the right, on which a bust of Michelangelo sits.
- Subject Terms:
- Copperplates -- Specimens.Mezzotint engraving, British.Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792 -- Portraits.Royal Academy of Arts (Great Britain)Whittow & Large.
- Printing plates.
YCBA Collections Search
Green, Valentine, 1739-1813, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Knight , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.