A catalogue of a most noble, capital, and valuable collection of antique marble statues and bustoes : with a choice and matchless selection of Etruscan vases, the whole forming a very interesting and magnificent gallery, the property of The Right Hon. Lord Cawdor ...
- [London] : [Mess. Skinner and Dyke], 
- Physical Description:
- 10,  pages ; 28 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN8640 .N6+ v. 2 no.50 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- The title continues: "... collected with great judgment, taste, and liberality, during several years' residence in Italy : amongst which is that celebrated and well known marble vase, the chief ornament of the Villa Lante, in Rome : and a sitting figure of Demosthenes, from the Villa Negrove at Rome : also a small and beautiful collection of Italian and Dutch Pictures, consisting of some of the works of the most admired Masters, viz : Bassan, Tintorett, Padeanino, Alb. Durer, Cuyp, Wynant, &c. : also some matchless and elegant drawings framed and glazed : views of the antiquities of Rome and its environs, by Du Croix, Tresham, &c. : which will be sold by auction by Mess. Skinner and Dyke, on Thursday the 5th and Friday the 6th of June, 1800, at twelve o'clock, at the museum, late Lord Cawdor's (by permission of the purchaser of the estate,) : the only entrance to which is from Cumberland Mews, the Upper End of Oxford Street : to be viewed three days preceding the sale, between the hours of eleven and five o'clock : when catalogues may be had on the premises, at one shilling each, without which no person can be admitted : catalogues may als be had of Mess. Skinner and Dyke, Aldergate Street : note, no person can be admitted to the Museum through the late residence of Lord Cawder's , the only admittance is from Cumberland Mews."
English short title catalogue, T181611
Getty provenance index databases, sale catalog Br-A5817
Lugt, F. Répertoire des catalogues de ventes publiques, 6098
Hazen, A.T. Catalogue of Horace Walpole's library, numbers 3833
Date of sale: June 5th-6th, 1800.
Place of sale: London.
BAC: British Art Center copy is not annotated. Number 50 of 52 auction catalogs bound together. The volume bound in contemporary half calf; with the armorial bookplate of Baron Northwick; signed in manuscript: William Upcott, London Institution, 1823. 23 cm. "No. 42" in red ink at top of title page. British Art Center copy lacks  unnumbered pages at end.
LWL 49 3833: With notes, prices realized, and buyers' names in Thomas Kirgate's hand. "No. 247" in red ink at top of t.p. with monogram "JL"[?].
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections -- Great Britain -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Art auctions -- England -- London -- Catalogs.Cawdor, John Campbell, Baron of, 1753-1821 -- Art Collections -- Catalogs.Kirgate, Thomas, 1734-1810 -- Ms. notes.London Institution -- Ownership.Northwick, John Rushout, Baron, 1770-1859 -- Bookplate.Painting, European -- Catalogs -- Early works to 1800.Statues -- Catalogs.Upcott, William, 1779-1845 -- Autograph.Vases -- Catalogs.
- Auction catalogs -- 1800 06 05-06.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 19th century.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Skinner and Dyke, A catalogue of a most noble, capital, and valuable collection of antique marble statues and bustoes , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.