Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Specimens of riding near London , 1821
Specimens of riding near London / drawn from life by Henry Alken.
- London : Published by Thomas M'Lean, 26, Haymarket, 1821.
- Physical Description:
-  pt. : all ill. ; 26 x 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.A45 S64 1821+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 57 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title.
Description of plates inside front covers.
Two original drawings from the series--"Fancy-View near Gray's Inn Road" and "The pleasure of riding in company"--are now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Prints and Drawings, B2001.1.565-566).
Originally issued in 3 parts, in printed wrappers. Second edition issued in 1823 in boards. Cf. Van Devanter.
"Price half-a-guinea."--Foot of title page.
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 51
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, 74
Van Devanter, W. Checklist of books illustrated by Henry Alken, 71
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 70
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy NC1479.A45 S64 1821+ bound in the original parts, in printed wrappers. Bookplate: Fitz Eugene Dixon. The Folio A 2011 57 Copy 3 is part of a compilation of titles by Henry Alken issued by his publisher T. McLean with the spine title British sportsman's vede mecum. Bound in gilt-tooled brown calf. Plates mounted two-to-a-page.
- Subject Terms:
- Dixon, Fitz Eugene -- Bookplate.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Horsemanship -- Caricatures and cartoons.M'Lean, T. -- Publisher.Riding habit -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1821.
- One of the comforts of riding in company
- Symptoms of things going down hill
- The pleasure of riding in company. (One would stop if the other could.)
- Preparing for the Easter Hunt. (I shall be over Jack.)
- The consequence of having plenty of company on the road
- A things of the last consequence
- Perfectly satisfied
- Taste. View near Knightsbridge
- Lords. View in Hyde Park
- Yeomanry of England paying a visit
- Fancy. View near Grays Inn Road
- Folly. View near Acton
- Knights. View in the City Road.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.