Alken, Henry Thomas, 1784-1851, Specimens of riding near London , 1821
Specimens of riding near London / drawn from life by Henry Alken.
- London : Published by Thomas M'Lean, 26, Haymarket, 1821.
- Physical Description:
-  pt. : all ill. ; 26 x 37 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC1479.A45 S64 1821+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 57 Copy 3Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Cover title.
Description of plates inside front covers.
Two original drawings from the series--"Fancy-View near Gray's Inn Road" and "The pleasure of riding in company"--are now in the collections of the Yale Center for British Art (Department of Prints and Drawings, B2001.1.565-566).
Originally issued in 3 parts, in printed wrappers. Second edition issued in 1823 in boards. Cf. Van Devanter.
"Price half-a-guinea."--Foot of title page.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 51
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, 74
Van Devanter, W. Checklist of books illustrated by Henry Alken, 71
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 70
BAC: British Art Center has two copies. Copy NC1479.A45 S64 1821+ bound in the original parts, in printed wrappers. Bookplate: Fitz Eugene Dixon. The Folio A 2011 57 Copy 3 is part of a compilation of titles by Henry Alken issued by his publisher T. McLean with the spine title British sportsman's vede mecum. Bound in gilt-tooled brown calf. Plates mounted two-to-a-page.
- Subject Terms:
- Dixon, Fitz Eugene -- Bookplate.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Horsemanship -- Caricatures and cartoons.M'Lean, T. -- Publisher.Riding habit -- Caricatures and cartoons.
- Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1821.
- One of the comforts of riding in company
- Symptoms of things going down hill
- The pleasure of riding in company. (One would stop if the other could.)
- Preparing for the Easter Hunt. (I shall be over Jack.)
- The consequence of having plenty of company on the road
- A things of the last consequence
- Perfectly satisfied
- Taste. View near Knightsbridge
- Lords. View in Hyde Park
- Yeomanry of England paying a visit
- Fancy. View near Grays Inn Road
- Folly. View near Acton
- Knights. View in the City Road.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.