Alken, Samuel, 1756-1815, Delineations of British field sports , 1822
- Delineations of British field sports : together with the various methods of poachings / drawn in lithography by Samuel Alken.
- London : Published by J. Hudson, 85, Cheapside, 1822.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 x 46 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2011 9Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- All plates, except no. 1, 12, 13, 16, 18, and 23 are signed Saml. or S. Alken.
Issued in parts in 1821.
Printed by J. Davy, Queen Street, Seven Dials.
The lithographs are printed on gray paper, and heightened with white.
British Art Center copy includes an untitled 25th plate (rabbit hunting), not recorded on the title page, nor in Slater, Schwerdt, or Siltzer.
Podeschi, J.B. Horse and horsemanship, 115
Schwerdt, C.F.G.R. Hunting, I, p. 27-28
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p. 41-42
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 75
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in red half calf and red cloth boards. In red cloth slip case. Plates 1-3 and 5 are hand colored.
- Partridge shooting -- Stag hunting -- Coursing the hare -- Snaring the hare -- Woodcock shooting -- Fox hunting -- Death of the hare -- Funking pheasants -- Death of the fox -- Pheasant shooting -- Gamekeepers shooting a buck -- Poachers netting partridges -- Race horse in training -- Trout fishing -- Snipe shooting -- Cock fighting -- Drawing the badger -- Trolling for pike -- Racing -- Game cock killing pheasants -- Grouse shooting -- Duck shooting -- Otter hunting -- Poachers ferreting rabbits -- Rabbit Hunting.
- Subject Terms:
- Animals in art.Davy, J. -- Printer.Fox hunting -- Great Britain.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Hudson, J. -- Publisher.Hunting -- Great Britain.Sports -- Great Britain.
- Lithographs -- 1822.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1822.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.