Newhouse, Charles B., ca. 1805-1877, Scenes on the road, 
- Scenes on the road.
- [London] : [Published by Thomas McLean, 26 Haymarket], 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 29 x 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 59Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title.
Imprint from plates. Plates dated 1834 and 1835.
Originally issued in parts. Cf. Siltzer.
Plates signed: "C.B. Newhouse delt." Six of the plates are also signed: "R.G. Reeve sculpt."
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1973 ed.), 345
Abbey, J.R. Life, 406
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 192
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original gilt- and blind-stamped green cloth.
- The disappointment -- A frost -- Repose in the mail -- An alarming reason -- A faithfull ally -- A signal of distress -- Just in time -- A lazy horsekeeper for the mail -- An affair of moment -- A lesson for the horsekeeper -- An insubordinate gatekeeper -- A passing remark -- Accidents will happen in the best appointed coaches -- A flood tide ship ahoy -- A practical lesson -- An indiscreet artist -- An accommodating fare -- A race team.
- Subject Terms:
- Carriages and carts -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Coaching (Transportation) -- Great Britain.McLean, Thomas -- Publisher.Transportation -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.