IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Newhouse, Charles B., ca. 1805-1877, Scenes on the road, 
Scenes on the road.
- [London] : [Published by Thomas McLean, 26 Haymarket], 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves of plates : all ill. ; 29 x 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 59Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Cover title.
Imprint from plates. Plates dated 1834 and 1835.
Originally issued in parts. Cf. Siltzer.
Plates signed: "C.B. Newhouse delt." Six of the plates are also signed: "R.G. Reeve sculpt."
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, 345
Siltzer, F. Story of British sporting prints (2nd ed), p. 192
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 406
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's original gilt- and blind-stamped green cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Carriages and carts -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Coaching (Transportation) -- Great Britain.McLean, Thomas -- Publisher.Transportation -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1835.
- The disappointment
- A frost
- Repose in the mail
- An alarming reason
- A faithfull ally
- A signal of distress
- Just in time
- A lazy horsekeeper for the mail
- An affair of moment
- A lesson for the horsekeeper
- An insubordinate gatekeeper
- A passing remark
- Accidents will happen in the best appointed coaches
- A flood tide ship ahoy
- A practical lesson
- An indiscreet artist
- An accommodating fare
- A race team.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.