British social realism in the arts since 1940 , 2011
- British social realism in the arts since 1940 / edited by David Tucker.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 222 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryNX180.S57 B75 2011 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction : "an anthropology of ourselves" vs. "the incomprehensibility of the real" : making the case for British social realism / David Tucker -- Tragedy, ethics and history in contemporary British social realist film / Paul Dave -- Staging the contemporary : politics and practice in post-war social realist theatre / Stephen Lacey -- Bad teeth : British social realism in fiction / Rod Mengham -- "This is not a metaphor" : the possibility of social realism in British poetry / Keston Sutherland -- Re-presenting reality, recovering the social: the poetics and politics of social realism and visual art / Gillian Whiteley -- Small screens and big voices : televisual social realism and the popular / Dave Rolinson.
- Subject Terms:
- Social realism -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Social realism in the arts -- Great Britain.