British social realism in the arts since 1940 , 2011
British social realism in the arts since 1940 / edited by David Tucker.
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 222 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryNX180.S57 B75 2011 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Social realism -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.Social realism in the arts -- Great Britain.
- Introduction : "an anthropology of ourselves" vs. "the incomprehensibility of the real" : making the case for British social realism / David Tucker
- Tragedy, ethics and history in contemporary British social realist film / Paul Dave
- Staging the contemporary : politics and practice in post-war social realist theatre / Stephen Lacey
- Bad teeth : British social realism in fiction / Rod Mengham
- "This is not a metaphor" : the possibility of social realism in British poetry / Keston Sutherland
- Re-presenting reality, recovering the social: the poetics and politics of social realism and visual art / Gillian Whiteley
- Small screens and big voices : televisual social realism and the popular / Dave Rolinson.