Knowing nature : art and science in Philadelphia, 1740-1840 / edited by Amy R.W. Meyers, with the assistance of Lisa L. Ford.
- Additional Title(s):
Art and science in Philadelphia, 1740-1840
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 417 p. : ill. (mostly col.) ; 31 cm.
- Reference LibraryN72.S3 K59 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]Reference LibraryN72.S3 K59 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- BEIN 2014 +290: Dust jacket.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and science.Natural history -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- 18th century.Natural history -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- 19th century.Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Intellectual life -- 18th century.Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
- A protracted view : the relationship between mapmakers and naturalists in recording the land / Margaret Pritchard
- Cultivated lives, cultivated spaces : the scientific garden in Philadelphia, 1740-1840 / Therese O'Malley
- America's "ancient garden": the Bartram Botanic Garden, 1728-1850 / Joel T. Fry
- This other Eden : the American connection in Georgian pleasure grounds, from shrubbery and menagerie to aviary and flower garden / Mark Laird
- From nature and memory : William Bartram's drawings of North American flora and fauna / Amy Meyers
- Cultivating interiors : Philadelphia, China, and the natural world / Janice L. Neri
- Surprising oddness and beauty : textile design and natural history between London and Philadelphia in the eighteenth century / Alicia Weisberg-Roberts
- The rattlesnake : Benjamin Henry Latrobe and the place of art in America / Alexander Nemerov
- A world of uses : Philadelphia's contributions to useful knowledge in François-André Michaux's North American sylva / Lisa L. Ford
- Hand-coloring vs. color printing in early-nineteenth-century natural history color-plate books / James N. Green
- Illustrating nature : institutional support for art and science in Philadelphia, 1770-1830 / Robert McCracken Peck
- The pious pursuit of agriculture : nature, culture, and exchange in Quaker-Seneca missions / Robert S. Cox
- The pictorial legacy of Lewis and Clark / Kenneth Haltman
- A world too much : democracy and natural history in Godman and Audubon / Alexander Nemerov.