Knowing nature : art and science in Philadelphia, 1740-1840 / edited by Amy R.W. Meyers, with the assistance of Lisa L. Ford.
- Additional Title(s):
Art and science in Philadelphia, 1740-1840
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 2011.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 417 p. : ill. (mostly col.) ; 31 cm.
- Reference LibraryN72.S3 K59 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.Reference LibraryN72.S3 K59 2011 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- BEIN 2014 +290: Dust jacket.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and science.Natural history -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- 18th century.Natural history -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- History -- 19th century.Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Intellectual life -- 18th century.Philadelphia (Pa.) -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
- A protracted view : the relationship between mapmakers and naturalists in recording the land / Margaret Pritchard
- Cultivated lives, cultivated spaces : the scientific garden in Philadelphia, 1740-1840 / Therese O'Malley
- America's "ancient garden": the Bartram Botanic Garden, 1728-1850 / Joel T. Fry
- This other Eden : the American connection in Georgian pleasure grounds, from shrubbery and menagerie to aviary and flower garden / Mark Laird
- From nature and memory : William Bartram's drawings of North American flora and fauna / Amy Meyers
- Cultivating interiors : Philadelphia, China, and the natural world / Janice L. Neri
- Surprising oddness and beauty : textile design and natural history between London and Philadelphia in the eighteenth century / Alicia Weisberg-Roberts
- The rattlesnake : Benjamin Henry Latrobe and the place of art in America / Alexander Nemerov
- A world of uses : Philadelphia's contributions to useful knowledge in François-André Michaux's North American sylva / Lisa L. Ford
- Hand-coloring vs. color printing in early-nineteenth-century natural history color-plate books / James N. Green
- Illustrating nature : institutional support for art and science in Philadelphia, 1770-1830 / Robert McCracken Peck
- The pious pursuit of agriculture : nature, culture, and exchange in Quaker-Seneca missions / Robert S. Cox
- The pictorial legacy of Lewis and Clark / Kenneth Haltman
- A world too much : democracy and natural history in Godman and Audubon / Alexander Nemerov.