Woodward, G. M. (George Moutard), approximately 1760-1809, Horse accomplishments, 
- Horse accomplishments.
- London : Pubd. 1 Aug. 1799, by R. Ackermann, 101 Strand, 
- Physical Description:
- 12 prints : aquatint ; 27 x 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2011 75Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Satirical aquatints by Thomas Rowlandson; after George Woodward.
Imprint from foot of plates.
All plates have running title: Horse accomplishments.
Woodward's drawing, "A whistle", reproduced here is now in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art (Prints and Drawings, B2001.2.1380).
"... four of these prints appear in 'A Publican', one of a set of twelve 'Country characters' etched by Rowlandson after Woodward."--Snelgrove.
Snelgrove, D. British sporting and animal prints, p.209
Abbey, J.R. Life, 397
Grego, J. Rowlandson the caricaturist, II, p. 113
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary blue wrappers, stitched. Title written in ms. on front cover.
- An astronomer -- A paviour -- A whistler -- A devotee -- A politician -- A time keeper -- A civilian -- An arithmetician -- A loiterer -- A minuet dancer -- A land measurer -- A vaulter.
- Subject Terms:
- Ackermann, R. -- Publisher.English wit and humor, Pictorial.Horsemanship -- Caricatures and cartoons.Horses -- Caricatures and cartoons.Satire, English.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1799.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.