- Two Prize Fighters
- ca. 1742
- Brown wash, pen and brown ink and red chalk on medium, slightly textured, beige laid paper
- Mount: 9 1/2 × 10 inches (24.1 × 25.4 cm) and Sheet: 4 1/4 x 4 3/8 inches (10.8 x 11.1 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand; in pen with brown ink, lower center: "Hic victor caestus artemq; repono"
Paul Mellon collector's mark
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- bald | boxing | combat sport | fist | interior | men | pants | sporting art
- Associated People:
- Broughton, John (c.1703–1789), pugilist
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Hubert-François Gravelot, 1699–1773, French, active in Britain (1733–45), Two Prize Fighters, ca. 1742
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.