Enter Malvolio, Crossgartered...
- Additional Title(s):
Malvolio Washes off Gross Aquaintance
Olivia's Garden: 'Twelfth Night', Act III, Scene IV
- Part Of:
- Watercolor, pen and black ink, brown ink, gray ink, red ink, gouache, gum arabic, and graphite on thick, slightly textured, beige wove paper
- Sheet: 19 1/4 × 29 3/4 inches (48.9 × 75.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, verso, upper right: "£25"; inscribed in pen, with black ink, verso, lower center: "Malvolio washes off | Gross acquaintance" | (Scene from Twelth Night) | Painted by | Sir john Gilbert"
signed and dated in brown ink, lower left: "John Gilbert | 1863"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- apron | arches | belt | boots | breeches | capes | columns | countess | cross-dressing | doublet | dress | feather | flower (plant) | fountain | garden | gesture | hats | hedges | literary theme | love | men | palace | pendant | play | plays by William Shakespeare | railing | ring | shoes | statues | steps | steward | stockings | stool | surprise | sword | trees | Twelfth Night, Act III, Scene IV | Twelfth Night; or, What You Will, play by William Shakespeare | woman
- Associated Places:
- Europe | Illyria
- Associated People:
- Sir Andrew Aguecheek (character in Twelfth Night)
Shakespeare, William (1564–1616), playwright and poet
Sir Toby Belch (character in Twelfth Night)
Maria (character in Twelfth Night)
Malvolio (character in Twelfth Night)
- View by request in the Study Room
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Sir John Gilbert, 1817–1897, British, Enter Malvolio, Crossgartered.., 1863
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.