Chamonix, Mer de Glace
- between 1778 and 1779
- Watercolor with pen and black ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, pasted on thick, rough, blue wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 16 13/16in. (25.6 x 42.7cm) and Sheet: 10 × 16 3/4 inches (25.4 × 42.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "Chamouny Glacier"; on back, upper center: "Chamouny"; on back, center right: "D 72"; on back, lower left: "H 15703"
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, lower center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- glacier | landscape | mountains | river | sunset | trees
- Associated Places:
- Alps | Arve | Chamonix-Mont-Blanc | France | Haute-Savoie | Mer de Glace (glacier) | Mont Blanc | Rhône-Alpes
- View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Gore, 1729–1807, British, Chamonix, Mer de Glace, between 1778 and 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.