- Chamonix, Mer de Glace
- between 1778 and 1779
- Watercolor with pen and black ink over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, cream laid paper, pasted on thick, rough, blue wove paper
- Sheet: 10 1/16 x 16 13/16in. (25.6 x 42.7cm) and Sheet: 10 × 16 3/4 inches (25.4 × 42.5 cm)
Inscribed in graphite, upper right: "Chamouny Glacier"; on back, upper center: "Chamouny"; on back, center right: "D 72"; on back, lower left: "H 15703"
collector's stamp of the Paul Mellon Collection, in blue ink, on back, lower center, within two concentric circles: "PAUL MELLON | COLLECTION"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- glacier | landscape | mountains | river | sunset | trees
- Associated Places:
- Alps | Arve | Chamonix-Mont-Blanc | France | Haute-Savoie | Mer de Glace (glacier) | Mont Blanc | Rhône-Alpes
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Charles Gore, 1729–1807, British, Chamonix, Mer de Glace, between 1778 and 1779
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.