<< YCBA Home Yale Center for British Art Yale Center for British Art << YCBA Home

YCBA Collections Search

 
Creator:
Attributed to Sir Nicholas Hawksmoor, ca.1662–1736, British
Title:

Bowling Green at Hampton Court Palace, Richmond: Bird's-eye View

Additional Title(s):

Design for a Bowling Green, Hampton Court Palace

Date:
ca. 1690
Medium:
Pen and brown ink with brown and gray wash over graphite on moderately thick, slightly textured, beige laid paper
Dimensions:
Sheet: 14 3/16 × 20 1/8 inches (36 × 51.1 cm)
Inscription(s)/Marks/Lettering:

Inscribed on verso in pen and brown ink, upper left: "Bowlingreen | A Parterre of Hamp | ton Court"; in pen and brown ink, upper right corner: "[?fol]"

Watermarks: fleur-de-lis within crowned cartouche and W below

Credit Line:
Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
Copyright Status:
Public Domain
Accession Number:
B1975.2.377
Classification:
Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
Collection:
Prints and Drawings
Subject Terms:
architectural subject | Baroque | garden structures | palace | pavilions (garden structures) | royal palaces
Associated Places:
England | Europe | Greater London | Hampton Court palace | Richmond upon Thames (borough) | United Kingdom
Access:
Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
Link:
https://collections.britishart.yale.edu/catalog/tms:10354
Export:
XML

This aerial perspective shows an unexecuted design for four pavilions arranged around the Bowling Green at Hampton Court Palace. Each building is on a square plan and crowned with a coved roof, with heavy rustication surrounding paired round-headed windows. These were never executed and the pavilions were erected to different designs from 1700 to 1702. This perspective drawing includes the new Great Terrace at Hampton in the foreground, built in 1699 as part of the expansion of the gardens for King William III. These four pavilions ornamented the existing bowling green and were fitted with drawing rooms, boudoirs, and card rooms for the entertainment of the Court. Foundations for a single pavilion were laid in September 1700 but the design was altered to a four-building scheme by the spring of 1701. The interiors were finished in 1702. The executed design is less baroque and fanciful than this scheme and although the attribution of this drawing is uncertain, the pavilions were erected by the Office of Works, an office headed by Sir Christopher Wren. At this stage in his career, Wren delegated much of the work to his assistants William Talman and Nicholas Hawksmoor. The buildings may therefore be attributed to one of these three architects with the probability being that Hawksmoor was responsible: the channeled rustication and ornamented coved roof is reminiscent of his work at Castle Howard and St. Mary Woolnoth, and the drawing's execution is typical of Hawskmoor's sketches. n
Madeleine Helmer, 2014

Country houses in Great Britain., Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 1979, p. 65, no. 44, N6764 Y34 1979 (YCBA)


If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.