IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Walter Greaves, 1846–1930, British, Portrait Study of Whistler, undated
Portrait Study of Whistler
- Black chalk and graphite with pen and gray ink on thin, smooth, cream wove paper
- Sheet: 13 x 8 5/8in. (33 x 21.9cm), Sheet: 13 × 8 5/8 inches (33 × 21.9 cm)
Inscribed in artist's hand in pen and black ink, lower center: "James McNeil Whistler"; in graphite, lower center: "D. 1820 | Walter Greaves 1846-1931 | Portrait sketch of Whistler"
Signed in pen and black ink, lower right: "W Greaves"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- figure | male | monocle | moustache | portrait
- Associated People:
- Whistler, James Abbott McNeill (1834–1903), painter and printmaker
- Accessible by appointment in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- IIIF Manifest:
Whistler in Paris, London and Venice (Yale University Art Gallery, 2015-01-30 - 2015-07-15) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.