- Design for a villa: `The Ground Plan and Elevations of a Villa'
- Graphite, pen and brown and black ink, watercolor on slightly textured, medium, cream laid paper
- Sheet: 15 3/4 × 24 7/16 inches (40 × 62 cm)
Inscribed in pen and brown ink, upper center: "The Fore - Front"; in pen and black ink, left: "In the Clear" and dimensions given; in pen and black ink, center: "differ.t Heights in the clear | Ground floor 13 feet | Principal or 1st Story 20 | Attic or Chamber 12"; in pen and brown ink, center: "The Scale"; in pen and black ink, lower center, scale bar given; in pen and brown ink, lower center: "The TRACES of the Ground Plan shewing the breaks in the above ELEVATION"; inscribed on verso in graphite, center, illegible lettering
Signed and dated in pen and brown ink, right: "Steph.n Riou Archit.t excegit & delin. 1770"
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Fund
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawing & Watercolors-Architectural
- Prints and Drawings
- Subject Terms:
- architectural subject
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
Stephen Riou, 1720–1780, Design for a villa: `The Ground Plan and Elevations of a Villa', 1770
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.