- View of the Island of Jangerah at Sultanganj with Figures in the Foreground
- ca. 1781
- Gray wash and pen and black/brown ink over graphite on laid paper, laid down on 19th Century wash mount
- Sheet: 19 5/8 x 25 7/16in. (49.8 x 64.6cm)
Initialled, in pen and brown ink, UR: MH2; in graphite UL: CP; in graphite, LL of mount: near[?] Boghpoor Ganges; in graphite, LC: 15.
- Credit Line:
- Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Accession Number:
- Drawings & Watercolors
- Prints and Drawings
- Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
Geoff Quilley, William Hodges, 1744-1797 : The art of exploration : catalogue to the exhibition at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, 5 July-21 November, 2004 and the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, 27 January-24 April 2005 , , Yale University Press, New Haven, CT, 2004, p. 141, NJ18 H646 +W55 2004 (YCBA)
Isabel Combs Stuebe, Life and works of William Hodges, , Garland Publishing, Inc., New York, 1979, pp. xxi, 277, no. 410, fig. 248, NJ18 H646 S75 1979 (YCBA)
- XML | RDF
YCBA Collections Search
William Hodges, 1744–1797, British, View of the Island of Jangerah at Sultanganj with Figures in the Foreground, ca. 1781
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.